– Can we guess what these crazy
Japanese video games are about? – Let’s talk about that. ♪ (theme music) ♪ -Good Mythical Morning!
– Video games. They enrich our lives and take us to other dimensions within
our minds. They’re basically books, but better. Today…
– You heard it here. (laughs) – Yes. Today, we have found some of the
craziest video games ever, and of course they’re all from Japan.
– Yes. – And we’re gonna play a game and
reveal some of these to each other and to you. – So this is how it’s gonna work. We have
each prepared a short clip from the game. It might be a section of the game trailer,
it might be some of the gameplay… – Yeah.
– We’re gonna show that and then using nothing else but that we have to then
guess what the game is about, and based on how close our answer is to reality,
we will award each other points. – Okay, let’s do it.
– Alright, Link. Here’s your first game! – Oh my. These men need to get clothed.
– (laughter) – Musclemen, and there’s a bikini-top.
– There was a woman in there. – And a sheep?
(character yelling in Japanese) – What’s that, an announcer?
– Look at this. – Okay you’re running through walls, and
going 135 kilometers an hour, I can’t read that. How to play, I did read it! There’s a
football player, oh they’re posing… Okay they’re chasing…oh and there’s a
heiney-shot. That guy ran..he’s…they’re… they’re hitting a wall and…he’s tackling
a football player. What is that? (still Japanese yelling in background)
– An alien. – A ghost?
– That was an alien. There’s also a polar bear in there. I don’t know if you saw that.
– I didn’t even see the polar bear, I am so overwhelmed. If the gameplay is as
nearly that frenetic, people are gonna have a heart attack playin’ this thing.
Bodybuilders. – Ding ding!
– Oiled down and chasing a football player who has stolen what I believe to
be like a protein powder pack. – Whoa!
– I do think, I thought it was a football and then I looked closely and it had a
lid on it, it’s like okay, protein powder. – Wow.
– Okay so. Football player steals protein powder and they bust holes through walls
trying to tackle him in a set amount of time… – Are you sure you haven’t played
this game before? – Without losing their G-strings,
or whatever it is. – You are almost completely right.
But you missed the main part of the game play which is, as you’re chasing the
football player who stole your protein powder…
– Yes. – …you and all your roided-out buddies
are going through the town and you have to do certain poses to pose your way
through… – Ohhhh!
– ….through the walls. – Templates! Like somebody busts through
and then you gotta fit. – Yeah but you know what, that’s a pretty
good answer. I’m gonna give you a 7 out of 10 for that, because you basically got
everything right except for the main part of the gameplay which is the,
you got the concept of the game right. – Alright!
– You’re off to a, whoa, you’re off to a good start.
– Alright, let me show you one here. Check this out, see if you can decipher it.
(upbeat video game music) – Chickens? No that’s not chickens,
that’s candy with faces on it. (1, 2, 3! 3, 2, 1! in background)
– Four shrimps. P. I see a “P”… The P is still there. You. You are the
animals? You are waterbugs, learning about the letter P.
(noises in music coincide with the beat) P. Now you’re on a date. With two, cheering…
Is that a blimp? – That’s a blimp. That’s a rocket-blimp.
– There’s still a P for perfect in the back. In the upper left hand corner.
– Alright Rhett, obviously you know what this game is about, right? So,
see if you can get it. I’m gonna give you ten points if you can get it all right.
– It’s an educational game, about letters, apparently only about the letter P.
Teaching children about the letter P which apparently is important in Japan.
– I would… – Because it’s in the middle of the word!
– I would not go the educational route… – Japan!
– …if I were you. – Okay, and um, it involves multiple sets
of animals. Probably something to do with cloning. Because there was sets of all of
the animals. Teaching children about cloning, the letter P, and there is some
kind of Guitar Hero-ish element to it because they were doing it to the rhythm,
to the beat. So, there’s a beat thing, and it’s educational for children, the letter P,
maybe other letters but you just showed me the P section.
(crew laughter) That’s my answer.
– Okay. Alright. This is called Rhythm Heaven Fever released in July 2011 for
the Wii, course out of Japan. It is like a Guitar Hero rhythm game, so that’s the
majority, so you got the baseline right. I haven’t deciphered anything educational
about it. I do not know what the P stands for. – Japan!
– The P in Japan? – Yeah, right.
– That’s what it stands for? So I’m gonna give you some points for guessing what P
is ’cause I still don’t know what it is. You, there’s different levels and you
gotta like, you gotta hit the rhythm. So, I’m gonna give you, I’m gonna give you
a 8 out of 10 on this thing… – (laughing) What?!
– Yeah ’cause basically it’s just a bunch of rhythm games and you got that part.
– Thanks, Link! – So.
– Oh, and I didn’t even tell you the name of your game was called uh, Muscle March.
It’s also a Wii game. – Okay.
– 2009. – Alright.
– Okay. Wow, I’m beating you. I shouldn’t be. – You said a lot more that was wrong,
maybe I should have taken some points away. But, you got everything right…
– Okay. – …and you made up a bunch of junk.
– I’ll take my 8 points and run through the wall likethis. Okay.
Here’s your next game, Link. – Okay. Okay, money, cats, 50 grand,
okay, cat disappeared, oh there’s the cat in the front, oh the cat is, singing? Ooh!
(music and dinging in background) Attacked by the cat, and now, okay it’s a
race game. And the cat has a laser… (driving noises)
…what is that, a vacuum cleaner? – Maybe.
– And, okay so it is a racing game. But then…the, you’re in an office building…..
(meowing noises) …and you’re trying to catch cats. Dodge
cats. Okay. – Uh huh.
– Where the cat gonna come from next? The box again. Okay. Eh, come here
kitty! And then the cat attacks you. – Wow, doesn’t that look like fun?
– Um. – Good game, huh?
– Again, there’s a racing component, there’s a dodging component, there’s a
stealing money from cats component, I think that this game is just, um, a
world where cats have taken over and you’re the last human on Earth.
– Hmm. – And you’ve gotta steal their money,
drive their cars, and not get sucked up in their magical vacuum cleaner. Or, don’t go
in their office building ’cause they’re gonna tackle you…game.
– Okay, uh, you’re not that far off. This game is called Delinquent CEO Rina.
It’s, you work at a place called Cat Queen Incorporated and Rina is the boss.
– So I got office. – Uh, and you basically do a bunch of mini
games like playing piano with a cat, taking money from a cat while it’s
not looking… – Got it.
– …driving a cat around while it has a vacuum cleaner on the back…
– Got it. – …and in general just making the new
CEO, cat CEO Rina and her co-workers, happy. So, it’s a business that has been
taken over by cats, not an entire world but… – Oh.
– Uh, you’re pretty close so I’m gonna give you, I’m gonna give the 8-10, I’m
gonna give you 8.1. 8.1 out of 10. – (laughter) Alright. Thank you.
– Congratulations, Link. – Thank you. Alright, uh watch this one.
(deep bass music) – Legs. What? What were those two things
that….what? – That’s a clue right there.
– Is that the game being played? The thing coming from his crotch and going
into that weird tunnel? – Yeah.
– There’s the sun. No, it’s a man’s face. It’s a green man. Now, hold on. Did I
see like a hourglass? This is like a… you’re goin’ inside of his ear. Okay. And
there’s a little gingerbread man in there. (crew laughter)
– Or is it? – Okay, the first thing. I’m taking issue
with this being a game and I’m saying that this is a Bjork music video.
(Link & crew laughter) – So, is that right?
– I’m taking issue with your pronounciation of Bjork.
– Oh, B-zhjork. (laughter)
– This is a Bzhjork music video. – So how does it work, Rhett?
– I have no idea. You go inside a green man’s head, uh…
– Hmm. – …and there’s a little gingerbread man.
You throw things, you throw pinwheels from your crotch.
(crew laughter) – Why?
– Because Bjork wants you to. (laughs) (crew laughter)
– That is not why. This game called Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong Nu
was released in 1994 on the Macintosh computer.
– Oh, see, a computer. – You are Rin, a guy who wakes up one day
and his soul has been stolen. Um, so you go to the mysterious island of Tong Nu
where your soul is being held. Of course Tong Nuisthat green guy’s head.
– Oh. – That’s the island. You gotta go inside
of his head… – Sign me up!
– …and find your soul, and bring it back out. – My soul looks like a squished pancake?
– I don’t know if that… – A square decorated pancake man?
– I don’t know…it looked like an owl to me. – I hope so.
(crew laughter) So how many points do I get?
– Just for getting inside of the head I’m gonna give you 2 points, but
you’re getting no more than that. – Pfff…okay.
– You’re gettin’ 2 out of 10 for that, man. – Great for me, okay…
– Eastern Mind: Lost Soul. – Here’s yours, Link.
(upbeat music) – Hmm. A boulder?
– Some nice Ska music. – Oh there’s a…
– Remember when that was in style? – Oh this is moving fast. Pink. Panda.
Chills. Helicopters. Explosions. Old woman on a surfboard. Snowboard.
– That was a snowboard. – Speed!
– That was snow. – Now the man’s on a surfboard.
– There she is again. – Okay, and there’s a clam with human
eyes, and drama? And, a UFO. Oh and a panda shaped hole in a building. Oh my
goodness, suspense. Uh… – Oh my goodness, suspense.
(crew laughter) – I, I’m so overwhelmed by these.
Like, I’m not… – Pretty fast paced.
– I’m scared to play these things, but, okay. A giant pink panda has taken over Tokyo…
– Whaat!!!!!! – Thanks for giving me some time to think.
That hadn’t happened in awhile! – No.
– And businessmen and women are competing to try and take him out and a key thing
that you gotta do is get the oyster with the unicorn horn and the human eyeballs
in order to defeat… – Wow, you paid attention.
– …the pink panda. But you also have to like, put dynamite on a subway? It’s like
that’s not, that’s not… – I’m gonna stop you right there. You’re
wrong on most all of that. – Oh, really?
– All that happened is they forgot grandma’s birthday.
(crew laughter) It’s called Incredible Crisis, 1999,
PlayStation game. Uh, they forgot grandma’s birthday, so, it’s a mom, dad,
and boy and girl, and they all have to get to grandma’s birthday, and they have to
overcome a lot of obstacles INCLUDING a giant pink…
– Panda. – …teddy bear that is taking over the city.
– What about the human eyed oyster? – I don’t know. It’s something grandma
wants for her birthday, I guess. (crew laughter)
– I don’t get points for that. – We gave my grandma oysters one year.
– Everything I observed, happened. – You did observe the thing taking over
the city and some elements. I’m gonna give you a 4 out of 10 for that, but you
missed the main reason of the game which is to satisfy grandma’s birthday urges.
(laughter) – Wha? How? Okay. Alright. Alright,
lemme show you. Is it my turn? I’ll show you this last one.
– Don’t forget grandma’s birthday. – Okay. You’re a fly.
(jazzy music turns on) A fly who cuts the stereo on!
Girl – “Why? Why?” (music stops)
– (imitating girl) Why? Why? Girl – “What?”
– This woman is confused. I feel like this woman is acting right now.
(laughter) – That’s how I feel about this game. Why?
What? Why are you sleeping on top of the covers with your boxer-briefs on?
– Watch this. – What? It goin’ in her nose?
(serious music) Battle? What?
Girl – “I’ve had enough!” – Her clothes changed.
– She’s had enough. – Relax?
– Alright, Rhett. This one’s pretty obvious. It may be I don’t know.
– Okay. So you’re like a fly, uh who, you’ve got a confused, irritated woman,
and you’re trying to relax her. – Aren’t they all.
– You’re a psychotherapist, fly. No that’s… I guess you’re just a fly in some girl’s
apartment and she needs to relax. Why do you relax her by biting her?
– Good question. – You need to relax the woman. It’s
called, Relax, Woman. (crew laughter)
– It’s actually called Mr. Mosquito, released… – Oh, it’s a mosquito!
– …June 2001. This is a PlayStation 2 game, uh, you are Mr. Mosquito and you
must, so you’re not a fly… – Okay. That makes sense.
– …you’re a mosquito. – There was no buzzing.
– You must suck your blood quota from the Yamata family but you can only feed
from designated body areas at designated times without maxing their “stress meters”.
And if they see you, they go into battle mode and they start swatting at you.
– And that’s where the relax comes in. – And you gotta get ’em to relax. So
you can suck their blood while they’re relaxed. Get the blood quota.
– Okay, so. – You didn’t even get mosquito!
– Well, I mean, mosquitoes don’t have green wings, neither do flies though.
– Flies can’t start stereos, but mosquitoes can.
– True. – Can you tell me anything you got right?
– Uh, you’re a bug and you’re trying to get somebody to relax. That’s pretty important.
– Alright I’ll give you, I’m gonna give you, I’ll give you three points for that…
– Oh come on! – …because, alright I’ll give you 4
points! Just to be, just to be generous. – Okay, so where do we stand at
the end of points-giving? Stevie – Umm…Link is uh, really in the lead.
(Rhett & crew laughter) – I’m good at this.
– Okay, I don’t…you’ve won by a lot. Congratulations. – Alright, and what do I win? I win I get to
play this game, one of these games before you do in Good Mythical More.
– Oh. – Thanks for liking, commenting and subscribing.
– You know what time it is. – “Hey I’m Victoria.”
– “And I’m Crystal.” – “And I’m Christina.”
– “And we’re at New York Comic Con.” Together – “And it’s time to spin the
Wheel of Mythicality!” – Remember we now have beard oil
and lip balm! My beard oil, Link’s lip balm available at RhettandLink.com/store – Mmmm. Click through to Good Mythical More
we are going to play that body-builder game on the WIi. Let’s play!
– Airdrumming that turns into a fight. – (drum noises)
– Hmm! (drum noises) – (cymbal and drum noises)
Together – (nonsensical drum noises) (slapping sounds)
Aghghgh! Ow! – That was a fight.